Monday, July 4, 2011

Osaka Universal Studios

Destination: Osaka, Japan
Season: One beautiful April Spring day
Ground Transportation: Nozomi bullet train from Nagoya to Osaka


Hotel: Toyoko Inn Osaka JR Noda Ekimae. For more on Toyoko Inn, click here.
Park ticket: I got a 1day Studio Pass. This includes admission to all attractions for a day. There’s a 2-day Studio Pass and a 1.5-day Twilight and Day Pass. The rates for a Studio Pass at that time were 5,800 yen for adults (aged 12 or older) and 3,900 yen for children (aged 4-11). Go here for current info http://www.usj.co.jp/e/ 
I also got a Universal Express Pass for priority admission to attractions. I didn’t have to wait too long in queues. If you wish to leave the park and return on the same day, remember to get a hand stamp prior to leaving the park. Your Studio Pass/ ticket and handstamp are required for re-entry .




You might want to explore the many shops or eat in one of the
restaurants at Universal City Walk just outside the park gates.
In the park you will find these areas: Hollywood, New York, San Francisco, Jurassic Park, WaterWorld, Amity Village, Snoopy Studios, Lord of Oz and Lagoon.

Peter Pan’s Neverland show at the Lagoon
Highlights:
* Meet & Greet: I always enjoy having photos taken with characters I’ve known since childhood. Be quick to spot a character and ask park staff, one or two will always accompany a character, WHERE you are meant to queue for a photo op. It'll save you some queueing time, well, that's if other park-goers didn't ask and get there first.
With, Popeye the Sailor Man! I hear the theme song in my head :)
"... I'm strong to the finich, cause I eats me spinach, I'm Popeye the sailor man!"
Betty Boop & I in Hollywood
Sometimes you chance upon a park character about to take a designated spot for photo ops (a long queue already in place!) or about to take a break and on the move. Rather than wait for their next appearance, I just click away. 
Woody Woodpecker & his girlfriend Winnie
Never mind that the photos are blurry or one looks like a crazy fan chasing after some helpless mascot! :P When I see photos taken in this manner, I always get a good laugh! Besides, mascots almost always have nice smiles on their faces so the "chase" doesn't look too bad in photos :)...
Shrek! Fiona! Wait for us! 
Jurassic Park The Ride
* Jurassic Park The Ride: I am game for the Jurassic Park ride but roller coasters, like the Hollywood Dream ride, are not my cup of tea.
I won't be fooled by the tame
facade! :)


Hello Kitty : I didn't expect Hello Kitty to be at Universal so that was a really cute surprise. Kawaii! 
* The Blues Brothers :
The Blues Brothers Jake & Elwood 
The Blues Brothers~Chicago Bound show with Mabel & Otis
* Magical Starlight Parade: This would have to be my favourite at the park. A warning though, the photos you are about to see are quite.... blurry and are a poor representation of the pretty & sparkling floats. Having said that, I'm happy to share these pictures :)
Elmo, Snoopy and Hello Kitty floats
Cinderella's pumpkin carriage
Fairy Godmother arrives & waves her magic wand
The Magical Starlight Parade was a great way to end the day at the park. To make sure you don't miss it, check the park show schedule here. I will definitely get a Twilight & Day pass next time I go to Universal Studios Japan. For now, Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment